Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

Funding Sources

Find the Right Funding for Your Online Program

Mason Continuing and Professional Education (CPE) supports lifelong learning strategies, designs industry-backed micro-credentials, and partners with training professionals who provide students with hands-on experiences and current skills to contribute to their career development.

In your search to fund your continuing education, you may have noticed that traditional federal and military programs don't support non-degree or non-credit programs. We believe every student should have the opportunity to advance their career with the education they need regardless of their economic status. Options on this page recognize the importance non-degree and non-credit courses in advancing your skills and career.

If you have any questions or need additional information contact us at or click on the request information button.

Request Information


In response to the need for regional upskilling and retraining caused by the pandemic, which forced many experienced professionals and degree holders to confront furloughs, lay-offs and a daunting set of career challenges, Mason CPE searched and gathered a list of applicable external scholarships for you to explore.

Offered by Executive Woman International (EWI) the Adult Students in Scholastic Transition (ASIST) scholarship is available to adults facing economic, social, or physical challenges who are looking to improve their situation through educational opportunities. Visit EWI to find your participating chapter.

Visit EWI

With a mission of fighting student debt, is a search engine that helps you find the scholarships, fellowships and grants you need to succeed.


Complete a profile on their site to gain free access to scholarships and additional resources you need to succeed.

Visit offers you a simplified search that matches your qualifications and interests to scholarships so you can more easily pay for school.


Secure a Private Loan

Unlike federal loans, private student loans are available at low-interest rates to help you fund non-credit courses for higher education.

Sallie Mae Smart Option Student Loan

Sallie Mae offers private student loans for every type of student, including those who seek professional training and certificate courses that don't end in a degree. Loans can cover up to 100% of school-certified costs. When completing loan information, select George Mason University Continuing and Professional Education, Arlington, VA, 00374997. Call 1-877-279-7172 or visit Sallie Mae.

Lending Tree

Lending Tree compares loans so you can discover the best option for you. Their Student Loan Hero will help you organize, manage, and repay your student loan debt while it assists you in making smarter, more informed repayment decisions. Visit Lending Tree for more information.


Government Funding

While traditional government funding such as Pell Grants don't apply to non-credit programs, The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) was signed into law in 2014 to help job seekers access employment, education, training, and support services to succeed in the labor market and to match organizations with the skilled workers they need to compete in the global economy. To see the list of workforce programs, grants, and services made available by WIOA and their eligibility requirements, go here.

Military Funding

As CPE courses do not offer college credit, they're not available for traditional Veterans' educational assistance benefits.
Additionally, Army Credentialing Opportunities Online (Army COOL) is supported by the Army Credentialing Assistance (CA) program. The program provides up to $4,000 to help eligible army candidates earn valuable workplace credentials with online career training. Soldiers can choose from dozens of certifications that prepare them for positions that are in high demand. Army CA will pay for necessary books, supplies and any other materials required for training and examination. You can find additional information on the Army COOL website. If you have additional questions, please contact us at

Lastly, the My Career Advancement Account (MYCAA) scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 in financial assistance to eligible military spouses for the pursuit or maintenance of a license, certification, or associate degree necessary, including non-credit continuing education courses to gain employment in an occupation or career field. For more information and to get started visit this site.

Employee Reimbursement

One of the best places to find financial assistance for certificate programs is through your current employer. Many companies offer tuition assistance or education reimbursement for continuing education, especially if the program you’re interested in will expand the skills you need for your current role or fills a need they have. Check with the HR contact at your company to see if this valuable employee benefit is offered and what steps you need to take to use it.

You may want to consider preparing a proposal for your manager that outlines what you would learn and how it could help you or the team in your current position. Be sure to include the cost of the program, how the skills you learn could impact the company's bottom line, and how, because of the online availability of the course, it won't impact your ability to do your job.


Continuing and Professional Education courses and certificates are not eligible for traditional university federally subsidized financial aid programs.

This will depend upon your employer’s policy. Contact your employer’s HR representative for more information.

George Mason University Continuing and Professional Education courses are non-credit and therefore are not available for traditional Veterans’ educational assistance benefits.

For more information about any of these funding sources, please contact us at (703) 993-2109 or

Find the Course You Need

Select the career field you want to study to find all of the related courses offered.