Our Mission

Mason Continuing and Professional Education (CPE) brings the best of the university to professionals seeking to advance in their careers. Each year, more than 3,000 students gain new skills through transformative learning at Mason CPE, which has 35 years of experience providing technical knowledge and industry-based micro-credentials and professional certificates.  CPE is the provider of choice for agencies and companies seeking to upskill or retrain their workforce to remain competitive both today and in the future. Consistent with its mission, CPE has instituted various mechanisms to address student complaints. When registering concerns or complaints, students must follow the appropriate procedures.

Complaint Policies and Procedures

We want you to have the best educational experience possible during your time with Mason Continuing and Professional Education. If you have a concern about any course or program, please contact our office at cpeinfo@gmu.edu. If we determine that your inquiry should go to an instructor or another service unit on campus, we will let you know, and you will need to contact that office. Moreover, if a student has a complaint concerning any of the below matters, the student should refer to the proper resource:

  1. Grade Appeal
  2. Academic Honor Code Policy
  3. Non-Academic Code of Conduct Policy
  4. Policy Against Discrimination and Harassment
  5. Disability Accommodations

Other Student-Related Complaints

A student who has a complaint that a policy or procedure has been incorrectly or unfairly applied in his/her particular case, or a complaint about the behavior of a University staff member that does not fall within any of the categories listed above, the complaint will be handled as follows:

  1. Informal Resolution: Students are encouraged to speak directly with the staff member most concerned with or responsible for the situation that is the cause of the complaint. If this communication does not lead to a resolution, or such a discussion is not deemed appropriate, the student may register an informal complaint or file a formal written complaint.
  2. Informal Complaint: A student may register an informal complaint within thirty (30) days of the event that triggered the complaint. The earlier the communication is made, however, the more likely it is to resolve the matter satisfactorily. Complaints involving academic matters should be made to the Executive Director of Continuing and Professional Education. Informal complaints may be made by telephone or email. Appropriate University staff will review the matter presented by the student and determine whether any action is required. The student will be notified of the University’s response within 20 days of the informal complaint. If the student is not satisfied with the decision and/or attempts at resolution, he/she may go on to make a formal complaint.
  3. Formal Complaint: A formal complaint must be submitted in writing to the Executive Director of Continuing and Professional Education or the head of the appropriate office from which the complaint arises. Formal complaints must be filed within sixty (60) days of the event that triggered the complaint, and state the nature of the grievance and the remedy being sought. Any previous attempts to resolve the issue should also be described.

    Receipt of the complaint will be acknowledged within fifteen (15) days. The appropriate University administrator will then review the matter. A final written determination, including any proposed resolution, will be sent to the student within thirty (30) days of the receipt of the complaint. A complete record of formal complaints will be kept by the relevant University office. Records of the final outcome of all formal complaints will also be stored in a centralized database and the student’s electronic file.
Required fields are indicated by .